Architects create far more than just aesthetically pleasing buildings or structures. The design of a building must also be functional, safe, and economical. Architects are often seen as “in charge” of a project, whether their contract obligates them to perform that function.
With the responsibilities of an architect or that they’re perceived to have, there is always the risk of a liability lawsuit. You have unique needs that demand the advice and services of a seasoned St. Louis architect lawyer who knows the construction business and speaks your language.
Architectural design disputes may or may not be legitimate. Our knowledgeable architect attorneys at Gausnell, O’Keefe & Thomas, LLC, can assist you with complex claims and other legal matters.
Architecture Law Firm
How Our Architecture Lawyers Can Help
No one ever wants to litigate, but when disputes and liability issues do arise, you need an architectural design lawyer who truly knows how to efficiently and effectively handle these claims. Our experience working with various design professionals, including architectural design firms, landscape architects, and construction managers, enables us to communicate with our clients regarding plans, designs, specifications, and details. Our ability to comprehend complex design issues and creatively fashion solutions has earned us the trust of many larger design firms and their insurance companies.
We emphasize the early resolution of claims, aiming to avoid litigation. If a suit is filed, we work toward dismissals or settlements. While we do our best to avoid litigation, some battles must be waged — when they occur, we work to devise a strategy that is carefully tailored to our clients’ goals.
We aggressively protect our clients’ interests by thoroughly preparing our cases and exposing weaknesses in our opponents’ positions. Our architecture law firm possesses relationships with quality experts and can retain them as needed to advocate for your position.
Based in St. Louis, MO, GOT serves large and small architectural clients throughout the Midwest. Our clients come from public and private developments and commercial and residential projects. Our extensive industry knowledge allows us to provide a full range of services and help navigate complex issues ranging from thousand-dollar homeowner disputes to corporate project negotiations with millions of dollars at stake.
Our St. Louis architect lawyers can assist with the following issues:
- Protecting your intellectual property and responding to claims you violated others’
- Design claims
- Construction defect claims
- Errors and omissions claims
- Claims for cost overruns, delays, and inefficiency
- Professional negligence
- Code violations
- Liability issues
- Breach of contract
- Contract drafting, review, and negotiation
- Professional licensing and board complaint issues
What Sets Our Architect Attorneys Apart
Not only do our seasoned attorneys demonstrate excellence in the courtroom, but they are also recognized for excellence by their peers. Our team of construction attorneys are members of the invitation-only Construction Lawyers Society of America and have been recognized as among the top 50 lawyers in St. Louis. We are recognized by Best Lawyers as a Tier 1 firm for Construction Law and Litigation. Our firm has a Martindale-Hubbell® AV® rating, and our attorneys are listed among Missouri Super Lawyers®.
Contact a GOT Architect Lawyer in St. Louis
Gausnell, O’Keefe & Thomas, LLC, is grounded on the principles of professionalism, proficiency, and performance. We work to achieve the most favorable resolution for our clients through mediation, arbitration, or jury trial. Contact us for skilled legal assistance with any architectural matters your business may face. Our architect lawyers will fight for you.
Architecture Law Frequently Asked Questions
What is architecture law?
Architecture law is a legal specialty that focuses on the intersection of architecture and the law. Architecture lawyers advise architects, engineers, contractors, and other professionals on a wide range of legal issues, including:
- Construction contracts: Architects often draft and negotiate construction contracts on behalf of their clients. These contracts can be complex and involve a significant amount of money, so it is essential to have an attorney review any construction contract before signing it.
- Construction disputes: Disputes can arise between architects, contractors, and other parties involved in a construction project. Architect lawyers can help clients resolve these disputes through mediation, arbitration, or litigation.
- Intellectual property: Architects own copyrights to their original designs. Attorneys can help clients protect their intellectual property rights and prevent others from copying their designs without permission.
- Zoning and land use: Architects must be familiar with the zoning and land use laws that apply to their projects. Lawyers can advise clients on these laws and help them obtain the necessary permits and approvals.
- Building codes: Architects must ensure their designs comply with all applicable building codes. Legal professionals can review design plans and advise clients on potential code violations.
How is architectural design law related to construction law?
Architecture and construction law are closely related, but they are two distinct areas of law. Architecture law focuses on the legal issues that are specific to architects, while construction law focuses on the legal issues that are common to all construction projects, regardless of the type of project or the professionals involved.
Generally speaking, architect lawyers are more specialized in legal issues specific to the profession, like intellectual property and professional liability. Construction attorneys have a broader range of experience in all aspects, such as contracts, dispute resolution, and zoning and land use law. The Gausnell, O’Keefe & Thomas team is adept in every aspect of construction, architectural, and engineering law.