It’s no surprise that owning commercial property comes with a risk. Even if you’re not directly involved in the maintenance and upkeep, you may still be held liable for any injuries. If your company faces a slip and fall accident claim, it’s critical to seek legal representation.
The St. Louis slip and fall attorneys of Gausnell, O’Keefe & Thomas, LLC possess decades of experience defending property owners in premises liability claims. We’ll form a solid strategy to achieve a favorable outcome.
Property owners and managers have a risk of liability arising from incidents and accidents occurring on their premises. We frequently represent commercial and individual property owners, tenants, service providers, restaurants, hotels, general contractors, subcontractors, insurers, and other business organizations in premises liability matters.
Slip and Fall Accidents
When a visitor trips, slips, stumbles, or falls while on your premises, resulting in injury, they may file suit against you. Their goal is to receive compensation for their injuries. They will likely accuse you of negligence, stating that they wouldn’t be injured if the property was adequately maintained. However believable their case may seem, an effective defense strategy can reduce your liability or even dismiss the claim.
Defending a Personal Injury Claim
Several defense methods can be used in slip and fall claims, depending on the situation. Examples include:
- Comparative negligence. When the hazard was openly evident and apparent, you may argue that the plaintiff’s actions contributed to their injury. Their distraction might show they were partially at fault for the accident.
- Inadequate notice. As the property owner, if you didn’t know the hazard existed, the plaintiff must present concrete evidence. If they can’t show when the danger arose or how long it remained on the property, the plaintiff fails to state a claim.
- Several parties are involved. Missouri and Illinois laws state that the responsible party isn’t always the landowner. Frequently, those who had possession or control of the property where the accident or injury occurred are liable. You cannot be held liable if you weren’t actively in control.
- Procedural defenses. If the plaintiff failed to file suit within the statute of limitations, the claim is dismissed.
How Our Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Help
Our experienced slip and fall lawyers have decades of experience defending commercial property owners, and landlords against various premises liability allegations. Whatever the situation, our team will work diligently to reach a positive outcome. You can trust our dedicated slip and fall attorneys to document the following and mitigate risk:
- Surveillance footage
- Witness statements
- Your relationship with the claimant
- The hazard’s actual condition
- Other relevant evidence and causes
Our team of attorneys brings innovative and practical solutions to each case we represent. We aim to dissolve claims before litigation ensues, or if needed, we’ll formulate a defense strategy in a trial. We know what works and what it takes to outsmart an opponent. With nearly 250 jury cases tried to verdict under our belt, we have civil litigation experience few other firms can match.
The Gausnell, O’Keefe & Thomas team is recognized by Martindale-Hubbell, the gold standard in attorney ratings, as AV rated. We respect the legal profession, the Bar, and the courts, as shown through our exceptional abilities and ethical standards. We’re also ranked as Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers for superior performance in our specialty fields.
Contact Our St. Louis Premises Liability Lawyers Today
Contact our St. Louis law firm right away if you’re facing a slip and fall accident claim. Any lawsuit against your company can have devastating consequences, such as downtime, lost income, and tarnished reputation. Our experienced attorneys have the knowledge and skill needed to reduce or even eliminate liability. Call or contact us today to discuss your case.